Mass Lobby of Parliament on October 29th 2012 at 2pm

A group of school librarians are planning to lobby parliament for school libraries to be made statutory.  This protest is planned for October half term.  This is not a demonstration but a lobby, so you will need to contact your MP in order to be part of this group, or you can come and show your solidarity.  Barbara Band has organised a Facebook page – look for Mass Lobby for School Library Inspection.  We feel that if school libraries were on the Ofsted Inspection Schedule then that would force schools to keep libraries open and to think about their provision.  Please join us.  A sample letter to write to your MP is in the box on the right.  Follow the Facebook page or Twitter @schliblobby to keep in touch.  If you are not on these, contact me via this page and I will put you in touch with the organisers so you can go on their mass email.  Please publicise this as much as you can – we would love it if lots of us attend!  This lobby is supported by both CILIP and the SLA.  Thank you.

6 thoughts on “Mass Lobby of Parliament on October 29th 2012 at 2pm

1. Pingback: Mass Lobby of Parliament on October 29th 2012 at 2pm for School Libraries | The Library Campaign

2. Pingback: Campaign for the Book Newsletter | Alan Gibbons’ Blog

3. Pingback: Mass Lobby for School Libraries on October 29 | Shoutabout

4. I have already written to OFSTED requesting the inspection to include school libraries. I have written to Mr Gove and Sir Michael Wilshaw.
    Please keep me in the loop.
    This is the second time I have sent letters to relevent people in the government and have received replies. One wrote to me to say that my letter prompted him to check the school library on every school visit.
    Keep up the pressure!

5. Pingback: Three Steps to speak up for libraries | Alan Gibbons' Diary

6. Pingback: Heart of the School - Mass Lobby of Parliament on October 29th 2012 at 2pm | Professional development of Librarians | Scoop.it