Fantasy Fashion in North London Collegiate School

Use Fashion 5 Use Fashion 1

In my inbox this afternoon was one of those emails that just brightens up your day!  Jenny Bartlett from the North London Collegiate school emailed me to show off this wonderful display that her colleague Mr Chan had created in the library.  She told me that it is creating quite a buzz – as well it might!  Jenny explained the reason for the display:

‘Our school has an annual ‘Fantasy Fashion’ event, a charity fundraiser where pupils design and produce fantasy fashion outfits around a given theme, culminating in a fashion show complete with catwalk. We like to create library displays to tie in with school events, and for this year, bought some new books on fashion, design, creative textiles etc. Mr Chan, one of our librarians,  has created an incredible display that is placed right at our main entrance. We’ve extended the theme by incorporating and adapting well known book titles – so we have ‘A Streetcar named Denim’, ‘To Kilt a Mockingbird’, ‘Tender is the Nightgown’, ‘All the King’s Menswear’, amongst others!

He has also dressed a mannequin using withdrawn books, and this will be placed outside the library to publicise a competition, ‘Strike a Prose’, where pupils are invited to write a piece around the year’s theme. It will be interesting to see if extending our display beyond the library itself will bear fruit. We are hoping that the mannequin itself will take part in the fashion show, possibly on a set of wheels!

‘Fantasy Fashion is inspired in memory of a pupil. She spent part of her gap year working with the Karenni refugees in Burma, changed career direction and ended up working and living amongst them, but was sadly killed there in  a motorbike crash. Fantasy fashion each year is in her memory, and money raised goes to the refugees. Always a big thing here, and still attended by her parents.’

This is one of the most beautiful and innovative displays – especially the mannequin! – that I have seen for a while.  Don’t forget if you have a great display in your library, we would love to share it on Heart.

One thought on “Fantasy Fashion in North London Collegiate School

1. What a fantastic way to use old stock! We’re celbrating Book Week Scotland with a Narnia-inspired week, and I can now see us creating a Snow Queen dress out of the pile of wihdrawn books that’s sitting behind my desk.