WBD at The Grey Coat Hospital, London

Penny Swan, the librarian, wrote to tell me about the great day they had at her school:

Lindsey BarracloughStarting with an assembly about the importance of choosing books to strengthen and inspire, this year’s celebration featured Lindsey Barraclough talking to years 8 and 9 about her books Long Lankin and The Mark of Cain. Lindsey told us about her childhood in the Essex marshes which inspired and shaped her writing. It was fascinating to hear how the people she had known found their way into her fiction; she gave them new names, and they changed as she wrote. Lindsey’s books are creepy and disturbing, taking inspiration from the haunting folk song ‘Long Lankin’, and the pagan folk tradition that continued to underlie village life long after Christianity was an established part of England. Lindsey also led two very enjoyable writing workshops for girls chosen from across the lower school, and she was most impressed with their creativity and knowledge. She wrote:

“I must say a huge thank you for inviting me for World Book Day. I really enjoyed myself and found the girls so interesting and knowledgeable. They are immensely fortunate to have you and your team and such a wonderful library to inspire them.”

At lunchtime the Library was filled with year 7 girls making bookmarks, doing quizzes, and watching author videos specially filmed for WBD. There was also a book swap, and an opportunity for students to exchange their vouchers for some of the WBD books.